Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week One

This has been a long week. They put you straight to work when you get here. Every day we get up before 6am and we don't get to bed until 1030pm and we are doing something every minute of every day, it seems. As unappetizing as that sounds, I love it. I love the Spirit here. It's so strong. I love the men and women around me who have given up so much to be here, to do something they truly believe in. It drives me to be a better person. I know what God expects of me and I try my best to live up to His grace and His love. My companion is Elder Layne from Colorado. He is going to the Lubbock Texas Mission, so I've been able to share some information with him about what he is getting himself into. He is a great guy. He is only 18 years old, but is very mature. We struggle when we teach a little bit because we both have such a strong testimonly of this gospel and we love to talk about it, but we are working to improve. We don't always get along, but we always work it out in the end. I know that's some great practice, because I know that Micaela will really appreciate it when I come home and know how to fix my messes. We do a lot of sitting in classrooms here, but it's nice because we are always learning something to make ourselves better for the benefit of those who we will be teaching. That's what this is all about. I'm not here for myself. I'm here for my brothers and sisters that are around me. I'm here because of the sacrifices that have been made for me by Heavenly Father and by His Son, Jesus Christ. That's what this is all about. The best thing I can do for myself, besides working my tail off, is to forget myself, remember who this is really for, and get to work. I'm living in a small dorm with five other Elders, so there's that. I wasn't excited about it at first, I'll be honest. But I've learned to love them. They are my brothers, in all seriousness. I love each and every one of them. I was made District Leader, so there is that responsiblity on top of all I've got on my plate. I love it. It is a great honor to serve my district. I am beyond proud of each and every one of them. They will all be spectacular missionaries. Teaching in Spanish is... different. I'm still getting used to it, but I've watched my Spanish improve since I've been here. Everything we do here is edifying. Everything we learn makes us better. Every minute we use is to make ourselves better for those we will be serving. These have been some of the greatest few days of my life. I have grown so much in such a short time. You can't explain how powerful the Spirit is here. We were able to go through the Provo Temple this morning. I went through with my district. So incredible. That's all I'll say. Some things are just so wonderful that you want to keep them to yourself. In the midst of all the chaos around here, I'm filled with peace, joy, hope, and love for so many people. I miss you all so much and I hope to hear from each and every one of you soon. If any guys are reading this, be sure to stay away from Micaela. She's mine and I plan on keeping her forever (like I told Micaela, I can't put a wink face because this keyboard is challenged). I leave for Chile on Monday, the 17th at 930am. I actually found out that I'll be home the 8th of May 2015. I love you all!
 
Elder Reynolds




No comments:

Post a Comment